|Granny Square Hat
Sally Ives/March 2001
I made this hat for my sister who has a hard time keeping warm. The hat was made
with worsted weight acrylic, so will be fairly warm, yet the colours and design are
light and airy.
Worsted weight yarn in 3 colours (I used A=white, B=light mint and C=peach)
crochet hook, size G, will fit an average adult head.
Granny square (make 5)
1. With colour C: Ch4, sl st to form ring. Ch3, 3 dc in ring. Ch2, *4dc, ch2* in ring,
repeat between * * 2 more times. Join to top of ch3. FO colour C.
2. Join colour B with sl st in any ch 2 space. Ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc (beg. corner) in
same space. Ch1, *3dc, ch2, 3dc in next ch2 space, ch1* Repeat between * * 2 more
times, join to top of ch3. FO colour B.
3. Join colour A with sl st in any ch2 corner space. Beg. corner in same space, ch1,
3dc in ch1 space, ch1. *corner in next corner, ch1, 3dc in ch1 space, ch1* Repeat
between * * two more times. Join, FO.
To join squares: Hold WS together. Working through both thicknesses: join
colour B with ss in corner. Ch1, 2sc in same space, sc in each st and ch 1 space
across, with 2 sc in corner. FO. Repeat until all 5 squares are joined in a circle.
Top of hat (5 point granny)
1. Starting at top, with colour C, ch 6, join to form ring. Ch3, 3dc, ch2. (4dc, ch2) 4
times (5 ch2sp) FO colour C.
2. Join colour B in any ch2 sp, (ch3, 2dc, ch2, 3dc) in same space. ch1. Work 3dc,
ch2, 3dc, ch1 in ea corner. Join to top of ch3. FO colour B.
3. Join colour A in any corner space. Work beg. corner. Ch1, 3dc in ch1 sp, ch1.
*Work corner in corner, ch1, 3dc in ch1 space, ch1* around Join to top of ch3.
4. ch3, dc in next st. Dc in ea st and space around, working 2 dc in ea corner space.
5-9 (number or rows may be adjusted to fit head) Ch3, dc even around. Join. At
end of Rnd 9, FO colour A.
JOIN TOP TO GRANNY SQUARE RING, SAME AS JOINING SQUARES.
For border at bottom, Join colour B in any dc at back of hat. Ch2, hdc in same st.
Work 2 hdc in each dc and in each space between dc's. Join, FO. Weave in ends.